ASP.NET stands for Active Server Pages which is used to create dynamic Websites. It is safe and secure for developing applications.
An Introduction to ASP.NET
- NET is a platform that provides a programming model and services to create a robust web application for PC as well as for mobile devices.
- NET runs on HTTP protocol and uses the HTTP commands and policies to create a browser-to-server bilateral communication.
- NET is a part of the .NET platform. These applications are compiled codes which are written using extensible and reusable components available in .NET framework.
- These compiled codes can use the heirarchy of classes in .NET framework.
- We can write the ASP.NET application in any of the following languages:
- Visual Basic.NET
- NET is used to create interactive, data-driven applications that run over the internet. ASP.NET consists of a huge number of controls like text boxes, buttons and labels for assembling ,manipulating and configuring code used to create HTML pages.
The ASP.NET Web Forms Model
- NET Web forms is an extension to the event driven model of interaction.
- The web browser sends a web form to the server and the server in turn returns a mark up or HTML page in response.
- All client side activites from the user side is forwarded to the server for processing. The server processes the output of the cliet and triggers the response.
- As we know HTTP is a stateless protocol. ASP.NET helps users in storing the information of the application state consisting of:
- Page state
- Session state
- The page state can be described as the state of the client ..i,e for example the content of the various input fields in the web form.
- The session state has information regarding the various pages the user visited and worked with. It has the overall session state.
- Let us take a shopping cart example.
- Suppose a user adds items to a shopping cart.
- User selects items from a page, say for example the items page.
- The total items purchased and the price are shown on a different page , say for example the cart page.
- HTTP can’t keep track of all information coming from different pages.
- The ASP.NET session state and the server side infrastructure keeps an account of the information stored globally over a session.
- The ASP.NET carries the page state from and to the server across page request and incorporates the server side state in hidden fields.
- This way the server operates in a two-tiered connected way.