DBMS short for Database Management System helps users manage data efficiently and securely. We can store, manage and organize our data within a single software application.
An Introduction to DBMS
- DBMS is the acronym for Database Management System. The word database can be divided as follows. Database + Management System.
- Database consists of the collection of data and management system is something that stores and retrieves those data as per the needs of the user.
- From this we can define DBMS as:
- DBMS is a collection of data that is inter related and a set of programs that can store and retrieve those data as per user needs.
Why should we use DBMS or Database Management System?
- We use Database systems in order to store and manage large amounts of data.
- When we need to manage large amounts of data, then we need some amount of optimization related to:
- Storing of data and
- Accessing the data
- If the database system follows the principles, then the database stores data in such a way that it requires a lot less space by eliminating the redundant data.
- Let us take an example to understand the situation.
- Suppose a customer has 2 bank accounts.
- One for the customer’s savings and another for storing the salary.
- Let us assume that the bank stores the savings account information at one place and salary account information in another.
- In such a situation, the information like the customers name, customer address etc are stored in 2 different places which is absolutely unnecessary as it wastes a lot of space.
- So for better usage of storage space, such information should be stored at only one place and account data related to the 2 accounts should be linked with that information.
- This same concept can be achieved using DBMS
- Along with proper storage of data, it is also required that the stored data can be retrieved quickly when needed.
- Here DBMS assures that the data can be retrieved as fast as possible.