Operating system is the heart of the computer which manages all the hardware and software of computer. There are many operating system in market. For egs
MAC- OS, Windows, UNIX, Android,Linux.
A Basic Introduction to Operating System:
- In order to complete a task, there are many hardware and software resources available to the computer.
- The most common resources with the computer are the memory, the input/output devices, the file storage space , the CPU etc.
- It is the Operating System or the OS that acts as a manager and allocates these resources to specific programs, as per required in order to complete the task. Hence we can assume that the OS is the resource manager that manages the computer resources internally.
- In other words, we can say that the Operating System acts as an interface between the user and the machine.
There are 2 views of an Operating System
1) The User View
2) The System View
The User View:
- The user view refers to the interface used by the user in order to work on the computer.
- Such a system is created keeping the user in mind, so that the user can monopolize the resources and maximize the work that the user is performing.
User View :
- The user view of the computer refers to the interface being used.
- Such systems are designed for one user to monopolize its resources, to maximize the work that the user is performing.
- In these cases, the operating system is designed mostly for ease of use, with some attention paid to performance, and none paid to resource utilization.
- One can view the Operating System as resource allocation manager.
- A computer has many resources like hardware and software that needs to used efficiently and optimally.
- The OS acts as manager that manages resources, decides priority between conflicting request, controls program execution etc.
Various Managing Tasks of Operating System
- Managing the processor which involves putting the tasks in sequence and dividing them into manageable parts before being sent to the CPU.
- Managing the memory which involves swapping data to and from the RAM(random access memory) and checks the necessity for virtual memory.
- Managing Devices that involves providing interfaces between attached devices.
- Permanent storing of data.
- Manages communication between the computer and the software.
- Acts as a user interface that allows the computer to communicate with other computers.
Various Function of Operating System.
- The OS boots the computer
- The OS manages various peripherals attached to the computer like the mouse, keyboard etc.
- The OS provides a user interface egs, Graphical user interface, command line interface.
- The OS manages the computer’s memory and allows sharing CPU with various applications or peripheral devices.
- The OS helps in file management which involves manipulating, storing ,retrieving and storing the data.
- The OS performs error handling which involves taking preventive measures required to avoid error conditions.